From: "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 10:43 AM
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] OT: Why we lost 11 meters

I can buy a 2W MURS radio (talkie) today for less than $150 and some for
as low as $99.

Also, you can run a MURS radio on an external antenna up to 60 ft with no
restrictions on antenna gain.  If the antenna is on the top of a building,
the antenna can be no more than 20 ft above the building.

I have many friends who are serious campers, hikers, cycle riders,
"explorers" and survivalist who use MURS radios very effectivl.  Some have
gain antennas on their talkies.  Others set up a base station with the
antenna at 20-30ft and a 3-5 dB gain antenna and talk 5-7 miles reliably
to talkies and mobiles with real mobile antennas (not mag-mounts).  They
talk 15-20 miles between base stations.

The gain antennas, good coax (most use LMR400UF) cost more than the radio.
Some are using separate mikes and speakers as well as external power
supplies or larger gell cell type batteries for base stations.

Walt/K5YFW