The problem can be overcome, Walt; it requires equipping each station
with a busy frequency detector.

Attended stations already have a busy frequency detector: the
operator.

Unattended stations must be augmented to detect activity on the
frequencies they use for transmission and never transmit when these
frequencies are already in use. Multi-mode busy detection software
was successfully prototyped in SCAMP more than a year ago, but has
not been incorporated in WinLink or any other HF message passing
service that employs unattended stations.

If those complaining about "technology prison" spent half as much
time coding as they do whining, HF message passing services could
employ unattended stations that do not QRM in-progress QSOs, and thus
could peacefully co-exist with the rest of the amateur community.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The "hidden transmitter" on any band and especially HF is always
going to be a problem.  It is not only a problem for us, but also in
the commercial and military communications world.

> As hard as we try, as operators and using smart software, we will
not overcome the problem.

> We then are left with two choices...understand it and live with it
or not use HF.

> The problem isn't going away.
>
> 73,
>
> Walt/K5YFW

Nashville
> > from my QTH here in Boston, confident that no one in the
Northeast
> > will be QRM'd. There's no way for me to know that the automatic
> > station will QRM an already-in-progress QSO between a station in
> > Houston and a station in Buenos Aires because I can't hear either
> end
> > of that QSO in Boston.
> >
> > Thus all automatic stations must be equipped with busy frequency
> > detectors, even when their being initiated by a manned station.
> >
> >     73,
> >
> >         Dave, AA6YQ
> >
> > --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McLaughlin" <bmc@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Dave,
> > >
> > > You cannot be suggesting actually listening before
transmitting?
> > > Would be a slap in the face of tradition.
> > >
> > > Seriously, it will be interesting to see how it all sorts
out...I
> > > will move the PAX2 station into the dustbin on 80 as I am not
> about
> > > to dump that wide a signal onto the new compressed band...hope
> yet
> > > doubt other wide-mode ops will do the same. Otherwise I plan on
> > > operating the narrow band modes much as before the 15th....will
> see
> > > how it all plays out long term. I have no problem with semi-
auto
> > > stations as by definition they have a live op to initiate
> contacts
> > > that, in theory, actually listen before
transmitting. "Automatic"
> > > stations are a whole other discussion!
> > >
> > > Be well and 73
> > >
> > > Bill N9DSJ
> > >
> > > --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@>

> > ensure
> QSO
> > > will

> <andy@>

> time,
> > > 0500
> > > digital

> Connect to  telnet://cluster.dynalias.org a single node
spotting/alert system dedicated to digital and CW QSOs.