Thanks to all for their feedback.

Bob, I work for a company with a large IT department and have data on my
laptop that is subject to federal privacy laws and some lower level homeland
security bulletins..  I am saddled with carrying a couple of RSA tokens with
me as extra protection for certain areas that I access remotely.

My company however does participate in emergency communication drills and
has a liasion to RACES/ARES, I am that liaison.  Based on the feedback
received from the group, I am not able to install software to a pen drive
without some finger prints being left in the registry.  So, I will install
only software related to emergency preparedness and emergency
communications.  DX Lab suite (logging ,propagation guides)  , Multipsk
(APRS, robust digital modes) , and Winlink 2000 /Telpac (NTS)  appear to be
applications that meet that need.   I will keep most of that on a pen drive
.

Andy K3UK.