Rich and group,

I have read from the SCS website that there is still throughput with P2
and especially P3 when down to maybe as low as -16 db below noise.
Others have claimed that Pactor 2 and 3 drastically drop off by the time
you reach -5 db S/N such as KN6KB's RFfootprints powerpoint on comparing
various digital modes.

Can you quantify what some throughputs might be at the low S/N ratios?
There isn't any miracle modulation scheme with pactor 2 and 3 from what
I can see. What they do is optimize many little things which gives them
improved throughput.

I question whether P3 is going to work a lot better than the wider
Olivia under the most difficult conditions, although I hear the claim
made that it does extremely well. But I am not sure of the actual
throughput under real world conditions. The curious thing is that if it
can not operate below 100 baud, there should be times of doppler, bit
smearing, multipath, etc., that would make pactor modes completely
unusable even though low baud rate modes would work quite well.