How do you determine your specific 20 second turnaround time?

Couldn't it be any reasonable number from say 1 second up to maybe 20
seconds?

Seems as if the SCAMP protocol was around 12 seconds, but I am not
certain of that. Then the listening period was for over a half second.
That is the main thing, having enough turn around time so the computer
can control the PTT in a timely manner.

When I observe how fast my computer can control my ICOM rig through the
CI-V, I would have to say that it is quite fast but probably not able to
key CW.