Rein,

I am not clear on this. The B2F compression is used with Winlink 2000. I
am not sure what it really is other than a compression scheme to nearly
double plain text throughput and is some kind of adaptation to the
protocols that were adopted by FBB such as B1F.

Shouldn't this work with even short data packets?

If you were doing some keyboarding with an ARQ mode that was running at
100 baud, like Pactor, (but could drop down according the conditions ...
unlike Pactor), and even if you used a cycle of 2 or 3 seconds
transmitting and .6 seconds open for ACK or NAK, wouldn't this still
work reasonably well with a throughput faster than most can keyboard?
And by using the B2F compression, and doubling the throughput, get
further enhancements?

Rein Couperus wrote:

>>Unfortunately this won't work. BZ2 compression is based on 'redundancy' in a
>>message. There is hardly any redundancy in short messages as used in k-to-k.
>>
>>The only way you can do that is by using context-based compression, like the
>>'context based huffman' compression in pskmail, which reaches compression
>>factors of 1 ... 50 : 1.
>>
>>Rein PA0R
>>
>>(by the way, it is open source).

Rick, KV9U had previously said:

By the way, I have often wondered why the B2F binary compression system
used with the Winlink 2000 system has never been used for nearly a 2:1
compression for improved throughput. This could be applied to any
system, including keyboarding.

Announce your digital  presence via our DX Cluster telnet://cluster.dynalias.org

Our other groups:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: