Exactly.  My personal experience, which I believe is nearly identical to
Frank's,  is found in our doing the software defined radio code (which
is used now by thousands of radio amateurs and others) finds Simon's
fear is misplaced.   However,  it is a personal (if incorrect ;-) )
decision and his to make.

That does not keep us from voting with out fingers and feet and going
elsewhere.  If Simon's game is the only one in town,  then we are left
with no choice.   DttSP, Flex Radio, GnuRadio,  HPSDR, uwSDR, AEA
DSP1232/2232  all run code that Frank and/or  I have written (along with
many others).  My experience with open source in these projects is that
it has been utterly glorious and the few Neaderthal's that come dragging
their knuckles out of their caves are a minor annoyance.  We have been
aided greatly and have learned a tremendous amount from doing business
this way.

Soapbox shoved firmly back in to the closet,
Bob
N4HY