> KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tried to find more information on the specifications but
> did not find any. I would not consider this mode to be legal on
>  amateur radio frequencies until it has an easy to access
> specification as required by the FCC. This really should be
> detailed on the ARRL web site along with
> the many other digital specs, don't you think?
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U

Hi Rick,

ALE, and the MIL-STD and FED standards it is generally associated
with, are some of the few digital systems hams are using that already
have extensive documentation specs published by US Government
itself... this certainly meets the description disclosure requirements
of USA's FCC for digital transmissions :)

Some of the pertinent parts of the ALE description are in one of the
articles on the HFLINK.COM website. The basic system is 8FSK at 125
symbols/second (125baud) with a 375bps data rate.

ALE AMD
The normal "universal" texting method used with ALE 8FSK is called AMD
(Automatic Message Display). AMD is a basic feature in every HF
transceiver that has ALE embedded. The text message scrolls on the
transceiver's front panel display. AMD is also part of PCALE, and it
displays on the screen. AMD is for short message texting, similar
to SMS on cellular mobile phones. AMD is known in government comms
lingo an "orderwire" message.

8FSK ARQ
It is more efficient to sent longer text messages and binary or text
by 8FSK ARQ instead of AMD. PCALE has several additional keyboarding
and file transfer methods to choose from that use the basic 8FSK
standard (with or without ARQ). The 8FSK formats most commonly used by
hams are "DTM with ARQ" and "DBM with ARQ". PCALE interoperates
seamlessly with ATM, DBM, and DTM. You can use any of these 8FSK
formats at any time, or switch between them during the QSO. The ARQ
functions in user-selectable time frames (such as 5, 10, or 30 second
data block lengths) with user-selectable number of repeats. The
operator can adjust the timing and repeats to meet conditions, and the
receive decoding system in PCALE is flexible, to accept any timing
that is being transmitted by the other station. You can also send
one-way texting messages or files, such as might be used in a net or a
QST.

It is quite a clever and efficient system, especially using the
excellent implementation that Charles G4GUO has developed in PCALE
(and Steve N2CKH in MARS-ALE).

Why no ALE in most ham digital software?
Considering how widespread ALE has become among HF users in the
world, to the point that it is the defacto standard now for HF comms,
does it seem a bit odd that most mainstream ham digital software
doesn't include basic ALE? There are many obscure and little-used
modes included in some ham software, yet they don't include the
most popular basic ALE calling functionality.

Are most ham software authors afraid of ALE?
I've often wondered if the NIH factor (Not Invented Here) is part of
the reason for ham software authors' slowness to include the
ALE-associated digital formats.

But, considering that it is rather difficult to understand the complex
government documentation for the "overhead" of the ALE protocol, it is
understandable that most authors of ham software haven't tried to
implement it yet.

Basic ALE functions could be included in mainstream ham software.
Only a small part of that ALE documentation protocol is actually
necessary for ham use, so it would not be quite so difficult to
include a small subset of the basic ALE calling and texting that
hams use most often. It would still be useful, even if
channel scanning was excluded.

Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

/