Hi Walt,

Thanks for your concise response. We do not even have (up north) DSL
or cable...just dialup via the phonelines...all it takes is one iced-
over phone line and connectivity to the internet is lost so any comm
means that relies on the internet is worthless in an emergency of any
sort. Thanks for the prompt to look into Pskmail...guess I need to
dust off the Unix box (use it all the time at work so try to avoid it
at home).

Thanks again,  73

Bill N9DSJ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> As Rick said...this is kind of the way it is here in Texas durring
a hurricane.  We loose telephone and DSL then cable and broadband and
then if you happen to be on fiber, one of the relays gets under water
or the relay node blown away and not fiber.  Noise is so high that 2M
FM/packet doesn't work well and 70 cm FM packet will do Ok but if you
have a digi on top of a tower...by-by antenna and/or coax.

> What you have left is noisy HF.
>
> So this is the time to try PSKMail.  Its only (ONLY???) 200 WPM
user throughput but 100% error free and even under the very worst
conditions, 25-50 watts of PSK63 qith 16-bit CRC and ARQ will give
you more throughput that PSK31 and possibly as much as MSFK-16.  And
its automatic E-Mail.  The nice thing is you don't need anything more
than your SSB transceiver and computer with soundcard.

> I might mention that PSKMail also supports PSK125 and may soon
support DominoEx for NVIS paths.