Although it is possible to run Pactor 1 on Linux, the comments have been
that it is not a very good implementation. I don't know if this is true
as I have never tried it, and the computers are much more powerful now.

In order to run Pactor 2 or 3, there is only one choice and that is the
SCS modem which is hardware and software combined. You can probably use
most any computer. SCS in some cases has a Linux service integrated into
their modem. The PIB software (Pactor to Internet Bridge) specially
seems to be designed to work with Linux OS as it installs from a CD ROM
onto a Linux computer. I am not sure if this can work with MS OS.

There isn't any question that Linux OS is making headway in the amateur
community. Just look at the surprisingly large number of hams who post
on this group and who also use Linux. It seems like it is several times
more than you would expect if only 4% or less use Linux. But they tend
to be the more technically inclined hams and those who are interested in
new things such as digital modes. Thus the likely cross-over.

In fact, the tables have been turned a bit due to now having some
software, especially PSKmail, only available on Linux OS.