Why do some modems use more "rectangular" waveforms instead of what
appears to be the optimum waveform for HF modems? Or are there downsides
to raised cosine waveforms?

In terms of bandwidth, it seems to me that for most uses, a 500 Hz
bandwidth is a wise choice. This seems to be a good tradeoff in width vs
potential throughput for keyboard modes and even some higher speed data
modes like Pactor 2 can do under better conditions. Also, 500 Hz filters
have been commonly available for CW. With more rigs using DSP filters, I
admit that it is less of an issue to tailor make it to one particular
width.

How about a two tone, DPSK scheme with 50 (maybe even 25?), and also 100
and 200 baud rates? Even if you would initially require manual adjustment.

Then we also should have a mode that can run in a voice channel,
probably 2.4 to at most 2.7 KHz width. How about an 8 tone DBPSK and
maybe switchable (manually at first) to higher PSK rates?
All of these modes could have similar timing for ARQ. How about 0.5
seconds pause between transmissions and awaiting an ACK or NAK or
control signal? With right control signals you could change the length
of time for the packet burst. But for starters, maybe just a simple
packet size.