I am going to top post...so flame me.  Hi Hi.

Bob, I'm over 65, been a ham for almost 50 years dropped out of engineering to
become a political scientist and somehow or the other became a program manager
for ADPE (automatic data processing equipment and systems...can you say
computer?).

I will retire on 31 Mar and plan to go back to school and re-take most of the
undergraduate level math I too and then advanced math.  But by t he time I get
through, SDR design will probably the old technology.

What I can do today is be what political scientist, economist and business
studies call a "business advisor".  In other words, I can tell you want the
customer wants and how you can get the technical requirements and technical
data
to provide what the customer wants.

SDR and digital communications should be spoken of in the same breath.  While I
REALLY like the SDR-1000, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to run it
with Linux...Bob's instructions are over my head and I don't think that Gerald
understands them either.  But be that as it may, I will eventually get an
SRD-1000 and control it with Linux even if I have to send my computer to Frank
and pay him to load the software on it.  Hi Hi.

I would like to see boxed modules to build an SDR receiver and transmitter,
modulator, amps, etc.  But that discussion for another day.

Everything I have read and experienced leads me to believe that you might need
2
or 3 different  "modes" for every band.

Any modem needs to have the capability/capabilities that Bob states...and
probably even more.  It really needs to be adaptive.  Ideally the big hit would
be a modem that could provide for HF as well as have some V/UHF usefulness. Why
hams with a Kenwood D-700 will run only 1200 baud AX.25 when the radio will do
9800 bps AX.25 is beyond me.

I don't like ALE...it takes away from the fun of calling CQ.  Hi Hi.

Thanks for your and Frank's and Bonnie's input...and Frank, I am looking for a
CD or DVD that has the Paul whiteman band with Gershwin at the piano playing
"Rhapsody in Blue"  A 40's RCA 78 RPM record.  My copy was stolen but I have
the
RCA jacket.  :-)

73 all,

Walt/K5YFW