James Wilson wrote:

> Whats wrong with service packs and AV and security hot fixes? Us
> networking guys have to stay in business.
>
> Seriously though I would recommend using Linux over MS. This recent
> daylight savings time issue shows how Microsoft can be heavy handed.
> Basically you have to upgrade systems to the newest OS in order to have
> the correct time to show up when day light savings time occurs. Or you
> can pay them $40k for a special patch.

I have 6 M$ W2000 servers to look after and 150 XP professional clients.  We
have SMS to push patches, updates, anti-virus signature files but always have
10-20% of the clients that fail to get the push.

I have two military people doing all the patching that SMS misses plus all the
other routine things that you have to do for a customer.

I have worked the same environment with 12 Unix/Linux servers and 550
Unix/Linux
clients and had only two individuals for customer server and the systems worked
better.

Do I have a problem with M$, nope...but my company sure does in what they have
to spend.

Oh yes, its your tax money that is paying for this IT...almost 4 times for M$
as
it cost using Unix/Linux.  Multiply this by the 200 other like units and you
spend $1500 per seat per year for M$ and 2/3 of that ($1000) for Linux/Unix.
So
M$ is costing $100,000 more per year for the 200 like units...and these 200
units probably account for less than 1% of the total department's IT use.

So let's let the U.S. goberment spend...errr give? our tax dollars to M$.

Walt/K5YFW