How can 1200 baud = 1320 WPM?  In the case of AX.25 baud=bps since a
mark-space=one bit.

An 8 bit ASCII character with start and stop bits would be 10 bps so 1200
bps=120 CPS.

If a word is 6 characters, then 120 CPS = 20 WPM which we know is too slow.

As far as a mode using a VariCode, the WPM throughput would normally be
expected
to be one CAP for every 60 lower case characters.  That's less than 2% caps so
would think that you would get close to 190 WPM (maybe as low as 180 WPM) in a
200 WPM mode using the VAriCode such as used in PSK125.

I would assmue that on keyboard-to-keyboard QSOs that the robustness would be
more of a concern than the throughput.

73,

Walt/K5YFW