kd4e wrote:
> Anyone familiar with NBFM Packet activity on 10M,
> 29,100 - 29,300MHz ?
>
> I came upon an old Sonar VFX 680 NBFM/CW exciter
> that covers 160-2M and it got me wondering why
> NBFM is not included across the Ham HF spectrum
> bandplan.  I don't believe it is any wider than
> an AM signal.

It all depends on what you mean by narrow-band.

Historically, Narrow-band FM was 5 kHz deviation rather
than the 15 kHz that was used on the old 60-kc spaced
rigs.

More recently, they're 'narrow-banding' FM to 2.5 kHz
deviation.

The newer definition would be legal under FCC part 97 -
the restriction which used to say 'no wider than AM'
now says

 No angle-modulated emission may have a modulation index
 greater than 1 at the highest modulation frequency.

So the 'new' definition of 'narrow-band' would fit.

... but older equipment would be using the 'old'
definition... a roughly 15 kHz wide signal.

Note that the restriction on bandwidth is only for
frequencies below 29.0 MHz.  5 kHz deviation *IS*
legal above 29.0.

And, for those not in the USA -- the regs are probably
totally different.

> Collins Model 75A-1 is an AM/CW/NBFM receiver from
> 1946, so NBFM would appear to have once been permitted.

My TS-430S also supports NBFM... and I use it on 10
meters :)  Collins may also have had in mind using it
with a VHF converter.