I wasn't so concerned about whether it's ISB, DSB, or whatever; I was more
interested in the comment that it would make the rig easy to build.  If a
simple rig were built with two balanced modulators from a quadrature RF source
(easy to do), using stereo audio with a sound card program designed for
quadrature audio components would let you produce whatever kind of signal
you wanted to... simple and inexpensive.  And the corresponding receiver
would also be simple and inexpensive.

If you wanted to produce a pair of PSK31 signals separated by, say, 150 Hz,
with a pilot carrier between them, it'd simply be a matter of building the
appropriate waveforms to make it happen that way.

Basically, a cheap software-defined radio, covering a small segment of a
single band with a single crystal oscillator.

By the way, I just checked part 97 -- ISB is legal (type "B" emission) within
certain guidelines...

- ps