Very interesting and informative information, Leigh. I did not realize
how proprietary things were in the earlier times. The merging of the
ODSL (Open Source Development Labs) and the FSG (Free Standards Group)
into the Linux Foundation and the attempt to try and bring increased
standardization, may help. I wish that Novell was a Debian based
distribution though.

Then put in the mix the new Microsoft/Novell interoperability lab
strategy. Considering the statements Bob Muglia made last summer about
how tight they plan to build virtualization with Xen to "support Linux
in a very native and high performance way," it could impact the end
users in a very positive way. But I am not sure if this will be anything
for the desktop, since it seems geared mostly for the server.