Rod,

I agree with your assessment of EMP issues and have thought about this a
bit over the years.  I keep one rig off line in a closet with the hope
that it might survive an EMP event. It might not though, as it has no
special shielding. I suppose I should at least short out the antenna
connector. Sometimes I wish I could have a Faraday shielded ham shack.
Maybe we should consider doing that if we ever build a new home. It
would only cost a small amount of money to wrap a room with some
hardware cloth under the paneling, ceiling and floor.

Digital modes generally require computers and most of them would be
damaged except perhaps some lap tops that might have been disconnected.
We don't really know with absolute certainly how large an area the EMP
event could cover with a specific damage level. But it would definitely
cause impacts to anything connected to wires for a long way from the
detonation point.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that CW has no use. I have not seen
anyone debate this at all here on this group. In fact, I know that there
will be a few hams who will try it and who will have a natural or native
ability to learn it and will find it a lot of fun. But probably not a
lot of them.

Your last comment is what the folks who do anything new generally say to
the OT's.