Originally RTTY was strictly FSK. The frequency was actually shifted +/-
170 Hertz. This was by either shifting the VFO or switching between two
crystals.  At the far end a discriminator recovered the FSK modulation.
When RTTY operation shifted to computers or more modern terminal
devices, and equivalent method developed. It was easy for the computer
to generate AFSK tones. When those tones are inserted into an SSB
modulator, you get the equivalent of FSK due to the fact that the SSB
signal consists of only the one sideband which at that point is either
one of the two ASFK frequencies. At the receiving end the same
equivalence applies. if you tune a true FSK signal with an SSB receiver,
the local oscillator beats with the two FSK frequencies which then are
recovered from the receiver as a tone.  With AFSK the same reciprocity
exists.