This was something we did in the early 1980's prior to packet radio.
Even my  homebrew TU worked well on VHF RTTY compared with its dismal
performance on HF. We had an active contingent of local hams who used
RTTY on meters. In fact, they even built and maintained a regenerative
RTTY repeater which made it possible for hams over a 50 or more mile
radius to use VHF RTTY. Some had autostart so it was possible to send
messages to print and hold on their system.

Then packet came in like a roller coaster. In a matter of a few months,
the useage of the RTTY repeater went almost to zero. The RTTY owners
decided that they would run the repeater for "a long time." Two weeks
later they shut it off. Then it was quite a sea change as most active
hams had a packet station always on for e-mail. Today, all we have left
is the internet since almost all interconnecting links, BBS's, are gone.
Another sea change, although the complete opposite of the one in the
1980's when for a short time VHF digital was one of the most active
modes for radio amateurs.

I had hoped to get some interest going with VHF digital, but have pretty
much given up as there just are not any hams in my area willing to do
this. Out of 150 hams in our area, you would be hard pressed to find
more than two or three who really have much interest in digital other
than perhaps contesting with RTTY.

With more hams likely moving toward HF, it may be possible to find some
locals trying that out, but in rural areas like I live, it is just not
that common.