Well,

You are all correct... as usual "it depends"; in this case it depends on
mode, band and operating style.

If I were, for example, using the "panoramic" type operation to look for
a snap-shot of what was going on in cw, rtty or psk modes using
Multipsk, I would opt for a fairly wide open filter of 3000 Hz....if I
then started a qso I would drop in a filter of as narrow as possible for
the given mode.

For some modes this is obviously not an option (of yet) as one is not
decoding, say Olivia, on a panoramic waterfall (visual ID's using CMT
Hell excluded as are RS ID's). I find the more narrow than stock filters
are the reason I use the IC-746 Pro over my IC-718;  but milage varies
from person to person. If all I was to operate was 6 meters, using most
any digitial mode, there would be little need for a more narrow than SBB
filter as there is (sadly) no qrm. On the other hand, using a digital
mode on 80 in the evening without a more narrow filter would make things
even more miserable.

73

Bill N9DSj

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I agee with Danny and don't quite "get" what Leigh is saying.
>

> Dave's question is an interesting one because with my 3-week old DSP
capable
> rig I, have been experimenting with the issue Dave raised. I have the
> ability to go down to 50 Hz IF-DSP filtering , but to be honest I find
the
> digital bands to be so sparsely populated that I have not needed to
use th
> filtering tha much. I'm waiting for a big contest to test this
further.

> With regard to what Leigh is saying, I have been anxious to find out
if my
> variable AGC and/or DSP filtering offer any significant improvement
over the
> infamous "strong PSK signal 'desenses' other signals in waterfall"
issue.
> With my admittedly little playing around, I have not found the AGC
settings
> to make that much difference. I just noticed a strong PSK31 signal way
out
> at the 1700 Hz mark on my waterfall. When he transmits my Multipsk
> waterfall darkens considerably. Turning a fitter on , in this case
> 1000Hz, eliminates the strong signal at 1700 and the waterfall at the
lower
> end returns to normal. I still have not figured out how to best
"center"
> on the remaining waterfall with software commands to center on 1000 or
1500
> Hz, since these commands center you to parts of the band that you may
have
> filtered out. Still need to find time to practice more. I guess I need
> filter out the strong signals, shift the remainder of the waterfall so
that
> it is centered on 1000 Hz an then use "align" or "center" macros.
Sounds