The Winlink 2000 programmer developed the SCAMP mode over two years ago.
This mode did not have the weak signal operation that was hoped for, but
it did have busy frequency detection. Maybe you missed the discussion on
this or are new to the forum?

Busy frequency detection is a reality, it is already invented and I
believe that it should be MANDATORY for all automatic stations, whether
semi or fully automatic. It was interesting that before Rick, KN6KB,
invented this detection software, the common belief was that it could
not be done.

I included this in my extensive comments to Paul Rinaldo at ARRL who is
gathering information on a possible new HF digital protocol. I hope you,
and many others, did the same when comments were sent to Paul.

In terms of ARRL NTS nets, they know, and any knowledgeable ham knows,
that they do not have exclusive use of any frequency, however, they
would very much appreciate it if you would allow their net to operate on
their QRG, just like any other thousands of nets of all kinds. Most of
us can move a little bit to help them out. Remember, that at least
theoretically, these nets may be useful for traffic handling during
emergencies. Without the daily practice, of these operators, the net may
not perform as well when we really need it. Last year, I was able to
route a Health & Welfare message to Alaska, from a tornado victim in a
nearby community.