Joe,

I think it is fair to say that the primary reason was that when we first
came up with these technologies, the promoters and users lobbied heavily
to get FCC approval. I believe that you will find that the ARRL was
influential in getting the rules changed to allow this. There was a very
great deal of discussion on this at the time. I think it is also fair to
say that most hams were opposed to allowing automatic control on the HF
bands.

The compromise was that the semi-automatic stations would be able to
place their stations anyplace in the text data areas of the bands
providing that their bandwidth was kept to 500 Hz or less. If they were
fully automatic, they had to stay in the narrow "automatic" portions of
the bands.If they were semi-automatic, but over 500 Hz in width, then
they had to also operate only in "automatic" areas. This was done
primarily to accomodate Pactor 3.

While there are no more FCC declared emergency portions of the bands,
good amateur practice is to stay away from those areas once you become
aware of their existence. Emergency nets are often formed to handle
potential traffic, but it would not mean that they are formed for
emergency traffic only. Most would not be emergency, but there might be
some priority and heath and welfare traffic.

E-mail access via HF has been in place for many years and is a "done
deal" here in the U.S. I don't see any practical way to stop it now
without a huge groundswell from the amateur community and that doesn't
seem likely. If you want HF to e-mail to be available for emergency use
or for providing messaging from disaster areas, it has to be something
that is available and frequently used by the hams who will try to gain
access during difficult times. Speaking from experience with Winlink and
the earlier Aplink system (not the same as Winlink 2000), it is not
always that easy to gain access to these HF systems at the time you
might want it.

My belief is that there needs to be many, many, HF servers available,
preferably on the 160/80/40/30 meter bands so that a server can be
accessed from most locations when you need to access them. While I have
been told by the owner that this is not possible for the Winlink 2000
system, it certainly could be for a narrow mode system, such as PSKmail,
which does not have the weakness of the underlying infrastructure of
Winlink 2000. And does not use such wide bandwidths.