John,

The content is extremely important. Commercial use of amateur radio is
not permitted under Part 97. There is no question that the Winlink 2000
system is allowing commercial use, since these are messages that would
otherwise go through commercial channels.

And, according to Part 97, it is not only the content, but the regular
use of such transmissions that makes it illegal.

Further, all modes on amateur radio were intended to be monitored by
other hams. This is nearly impossible with Pactor 2 and 3. In fact, the
owners of the Winlink 2000 system made light of that some time back as
to how secure it was using the compression of data plus the protocol.
While it is theoretically possible to monitor with the right software, I
often wonder how many owners of Pactor modems (P2 and P3 primarily) are
able to discern the messages. Perhaps some SCS modem owners can describe
their experiences.