John,

We have gone over some of this a number of times, but perhaps you missed
it. The Winlink 2000 programmer abandoned further work on the SCAMP mode
because there is mostly one programmer as they don't work with many
other hams on this. The have a closed view of the system and has been
told to me, they can not allow others to know too much of the details
because a malicious person could take the whole system down. Thus the
security.

The programmer had to work on the huge job of redoing the CMBO (Central
Mail Box Office) into the new CMS (Central Message Server) to increase
the redundancy of the system from two in the U.S. to two in the U.S. and
one in some other country with a potential for a total of 8 CMS's
worldwide. Now they are redoing the PMBO (Participating Mail Box
Office)'s into RMS (Radio Message Servers) but I am not sure how things
are going on that change.

The programmer did indicate that he planned to release SCAMP as a GPL.
It appears that he is legally bound to do so two years ago, but I hope
that he will want to do this to advance the radio art, rather than keep
this away from others. The main issue is to replace or add to the RDFT
protocol with another protocol that can run well for different
conditions. The SSTV folks abandoned RDFT after OFDM modes were
developed as they work slightly better, perhaps 3 db or so with similar
throughput.

If you are on 3585, you are in the automatic area of the band, so you
might expect some competition there.

Even if a SCAMP replacement is developed for Winlink 2000, it is not
going to replace P modes any time soon, since P modes are still likely
to outcompete anything that can be developed by the amateur programming
community. And there is a huge investment of $1000 modems that are not
going to be abandoned unless something else proves to be better.

There is no Winlink 2000 organization that you can work from within. It
is basically a closed group of maybe half a dozen (at most) owners. They
dictate all the terms to the amateur community and tell us how we are to
use their system, who can have a CMS or PMBO, etc.

There aren't that many SCS modems around. Some areas have invested in
them, but most have not. P1 can be used for emergency use with some HF
PMBO's and they will lift the 30 minute time limit for using their
system in some cases.

The ARRL proposal was not accepted by the FCC. For some reason, there
are folks like you who seem to suggest that ARRL was behind the recent
FCC changes. They were not. Their proposal was much more modest than the
bizarre decision by the FCC to make things worse for the new modes.

Hope to work you again on the digital frequencies if and when I get my
Linux system running anything digital:(