I guess for the same reason that us ham's have been passing traffic
going back to the very start of it. RTTY - CW - SSB - PACKET -
AMTOR and PACTOR. I don't see a thing wrong with a ham that
happens to be at sea (without internet or cell service) sending a
message to ever how likes.

Before one would pass the message from ham station to station
till it got close to where is was going. They a ham could pick up the
phone and call the party that is was going to. Now from sea to the
first land station to email....

I relayed direct to you because as moderator of the list I'm about
to shut down this thread. We went over the very same thing for
going on 5 weeks last year.

John, W0JAB