From: kv9u <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: RFSM2400
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:05:50 -0500

Considering that a commercial mode like Pactor can be used on the U.S.
ham bands, it would not require that much to have the specifications
posted or made available in some way to fulfill the minimal FCC rules
that are logical and well thought out.

They do not prohibit new technologies that would be appropriate for HF
use. These high baud rate modems are not something new since they have
been around for quite some time. They do not work all that well from
what we can tell, but they may be competitive with other modes with the
stronger signals.

Once the information is forthcoming, then they can be used on the phone
bands for sending images. As a liberal on this, I would extend that to
any bit mapped or compressed document such as a word processor file or
spreadsheet or presentation, but that is only my opinion.

The best way would be to get FCC interpretation of the rule and if you
don't like the interpretation then you can petition for change and you
can get an STA to experiment with it.

KV9U

expeditionradio wrote:
 >> John VE5MU
 >> So where and when can hams in the US play with RFSM2400?
 >> I'll be back on 3587.5 after all the RTTY is done, probably
 >> around 0100Z March 18, on until 0400Z using mil standard .
 >>

 > Technically speaking, USA hams can only play with it on dummy loads...
 > or in the exercise yard of the FCC Technology Jail :)
 >
 > However, I've noticed that there are some more adventurous ham radio
 > technology experimenters in USA are not sitting on their duff, waiting
 > for the rest of the world to pass them by... and some others would
 > simply prefer to rot on the sidelines.
 >
 > Bonnie KQ6XA
 >

 > Announce your digital  presence via our DX Cluster
telnet://cluster.dynalias.org