Rick,

Sorry.  Did I write "years" to get an STA?  My bad.

It should only take a 1 -2 months.  Paul R. can help.
HOWEVER, he will insist that you have whatever it is
ready to be put on the air for testing BEFORE he
applies, and not wait until the STA is issued to finalize
the software, hardware, etc.

There have too many cases when the time on the STA
ran out before anything actually got tested on the air!
It happened to the HSMM Working Group with the 6M OFDM
Modem testing.  I think John, KD6OZH, got pulled away by
our AMSAT brothers to work on a transponder or two, so
we had to request a renewal.  I supposed they got it as
that is the HSMM follow-on project.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

If you would like to see your WiMax solution published,
just let me know.  I am editor of the HSMM column in
CQ VHF magazine.

As to the regs, I like Dr. Bob's (N4HY) of AMSAT fame
approach.  It definately fits for the FCC:

It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than to seek permission!  (HI)

73,
John
K8OCL