Danny Douglas wrote:
> I certainly have MY doubts that many hams would live the "goodie" life if
> there were no regulations.  Just take a look where there ARE regulations;
> the US highways, and see how many Americans pay attention to the law.  Yes,
> the majority would try to do so, but the minority, and I mean a large
> minority at that, would NOT.  If everyone lived the golden rule, that is the
> only law that would be needed.

I think one difference is that it is harder to get an amateur radio licence
than it is to get a drivers licence :-) The drivers licence is seen as a
right, so it can't be too hard.

The comments people are making regarding the crowded bands in the US is
interesting. Tuning around 40m last night, between 7050 and 7100 there were
four conversations that I could hear. These were VK5, VK3 and VK2 loud and
clear in VK4 with a 6m squid pole antenna.

Plenty of room for digital to squeeze in.

I can't quite fathom the 1.5kW outputs that the US permits too. 400W here, and
that requires some skill I believe. I say this having not pushed out more the
50W on 2m and 5W on anything else.

Australia's restrictions on methods of operating rather than modes of
operating are frustrating though. No phone patches, IRLP only recently etc. I
enjoyed using a full duplex phone patch in ZL in the early 90s. Cellphones
were not common and it was a good way of checking in when hiking (even 150km
from the patch).

I guess each country has its quirks. It just adds to the challenge of DX.

73s,
        Dave.
--
David Ingram (VK4TDI/ZL3TDI)