--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Question to the experts:
>
> What is the most robust digi-mode with a 400 to 600 bps raw capacity
(or
> 200 to 300 bps fec capacity) ?
>
> Is a boosted psk variant the best coice or is mfsk capable of such
rates ?

> Other options ?
>
> Background:
> Seems someone has developed a 200bps voice codec.

An MFSK mode may be possible in a 3kHz bandwidth, but I don't think
there is one that is suitable for this application available in ham
radio software now. The 8FSK raw speed of ALE-mode provides 375baud,
but the coding/FEC is not optimised for voice throughput. One could
design a 12FSK mode by building upon it, adding 2 tones frequencies
above and below it, or 16FSK by adding 8 more tone frequencies, in
between the present tone frequencies... that would meet your baud
criteria, with 125symbol/second.

PSK can be tested. Try the 8PSK mode in PCALE, under the
configuration, FS1052 Appendix B options.
It can be adjusted for 75 baud to 2400 baud, ARQ or non-ARQ.
The increments are: 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 2400 baud.

Also, look at the 6PSK in the RFSM2400 program.

For this voice application, a robust flavor of OFDM would probably be
the best.

Bonnie KQ6XA