Jerry W wrote:
> I sometimes monitor the local railroad yardmaster dispatch.  Every
> once and a while I hear what sounds like short Packet data being sent.
> Tried to decode using various Packet software, but nothing decodes.
> Anyone know what they are sending?  I hear DTMF tones once and a
> while, but I think they use those tones to operate track switches.
>
> Jerry - K0HZI
> ce ID.

One alternative nobody has brought up is good, old MDC1200 as a unit ID
for the radios. There's a few RRs that use it on unkey to let the
dispatcher know who is talking in case he doesn't hear the unit voice ID.

FRED/EOTD are all in the 452.xxxx range, so if he's listening to the
160.xxx dispatcher, he's not hearing the FRED. The FRED channels don't
have any voice on them, because any voice would cause interference with
the data flowing between the FRED and headend box and could cause some
serious issues (emergency air dump).

--
John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit FF1/EMT, CCNA, MCSE
IPN-CAL023 N6FOG UP Fresno Sub MP183.5 ECV1852