I don't plan on tying up one computer for one mode during an emergency
event. We just went through a pretty major disaster situation here in SW
Wisconsin in the past week, with the 1000 year rain event. (Back in 1965
we had the 100 year event and we thought that was bad).

With the hardened communications infrastructure, for the most part it
was not a communications emergency, so there would have been no need for
emergency e-mail, but they did call out ARES/RACES for non
communications support.

There is a LOT more to operating a communications mode than just turning
on the computer. And digital communications typically add a great deal
more complexity to the equation. Consider that we have had two attempts
to demonstrate Winlink2000 during exercises, but each time something
went wrong and we could not get it to work via a VHF telpac.

Our local needs are primarily tactical and text digital modes are
limited in supporting that need. DV might be OK, but that would be
something to consider maybe a decade or two from now. Maybe much longer.