Roger J. Buffington wrote:

> Demetre SV1UY wrote:
>
>>  First off PACTOR 3 supports DCD control so it can listen before it
>>  transmits. Now maybe the Winlink people have a good reason to have
>>  their automatic MBOS not support the DCD control, but the human
>>  operator that calls an automatic MBO can listen to the frequency and
>>  make sure noone else is using it before he transmits. Also this will
>>  make sure that if someone's life is in danger they can reach the
>>  autoanswering MBO no matter what. It is not the end of the world if
>>  in a rare occassion someone's QSO is ruined if it is for a good
>>  cause.
>
> I doubt whether this has ever happened.  What if the robot interferes
> with a live QSO in which lifesaving traffic is being passed?  There is
> no excuse for any station on either end ever transmitting without
> listening first.  Pactor mailboxes routinely, often, and flagrantly
> violate this basic principle of amateur radio.

What lifesaving operation hes been hampered  by a "pactor robot"?
Please name one instance of this happening. Factual data, please.
Does common law work on factual, or on imaginary precedents?

>> I think that this is called
>>  semi-automatic operation. In the past when we had PACKET FORWARDING
>>  taking place, non stop, day and night, noone was complaining. Why was
>>  it OK then and it is not OK now?

> Because the Packet stations were confined to a portion of the bands in
> which live QSOs usually were absent.  The Pactor stations, inexplicably,
> insist on operating in the small portions of the bands in which live
> QSOs are present.  Further, the packet stations were few, and operating
> at least in the USA under a limited STA.

With packet forwarding, there was noone even attempting to park on a HF
forwarding frequency. Common sense prevailed (even when a few crazy
contesters sometimes attempted to overpower the BBS forwarding,
specially on CW and RTTY contests. Nobody even whined about it).

As I remember, packet BBS's were not so few. Quite a few could be found
between 14090 and 14115, just to remember the 20 meters activity. I have
been a BBS sysop using only radio links since 1991 (three FBB/JNOS BBS's
and multiband nodes, and cooperated in setting up another three) and
operated in several bands in different seasons.

Jose, CO2JA

PS: Doing whatever is interesting, fun or novel in ham radio since 1972.
Also, hoping this day is not the start of another anti-Winlink rant
flood campaign on digitalradio. Please, spare us the undeserved
suffering...this is not an appropiate forum for that anti-Winlink
whining. Most of us on this list are NOT Winlink 2K MBO operators.

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu