Hi Jose and all,

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Amador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> With packet forwarding, there was noone even attempting to park on a
> HF
> forwarding frequency. Common sense prevailed (even when a few crazy
> contesters sometimes attempted to overpower the BBS forwarding,
> specially on CW and RTTY contests. Nobody even whined about it).

Common sense is what seems to have being lost nowadays I'm afraid Jose.

> As I remember, packet BBS's were not so few. Quite a few could be
> found
> between 14090 and 14115, just to remember the 20 meters activity. I
> have
> been a BBS sysop using only radio links since 1991 (three FBB/JNOS
> BBS's
> and multiband nodes, and cooperated in setting up another three) and
> operated in several bands in different seasons.

Indeed a big portion of 20m digital subband was full of them. There
are still a few around.

> Jose, CO2JA
>
> PS: Doing whatever is interesting, fun or novel in ham radio since 1972.

OK Jose, I have been a licensed radio ham since 1983 and an SWL since
1970.

> Also, hoping this day is not the start of another anti-Winlink rant
> flood campaign on digitalradio. Please, spare us the undeserved
> suffering...this is not an appropiate forum for that anti-Winlink
> whining. Most of us on this list are NOT Winlink 2K MBO operators.

It shouldn't start anything since this is really an argument about
PACTOR 2 or 3 versus soundcard modes and not about Winlink2000. If
anyone wants to argue against Winlink2000, he will start arguing very
soon about PSKmail, ALE or any other messaging system that might be
developed because they are very similar systems. Arguing against a
system one cannot understand, use or does not like, does not promote
digital and amateur radio at all. There are many others who want to
use messaging systems.

After all amateur radio is not only about voice QSOs, RTTY, PSK and
all the variants, it has many aspects, many modes and we should all be
a bit more tolerant since we are only doing a hobby here and if
sometimes we cannot avoid the hidden transmitter syndrome (which by
the way does not cause problems all that often) and cause some QRM to
each other it is not the end of the world. Some seem to forget the
most important Radio Amateur Rule about "Courtesy".

73 de Demetre SV1UY