Why are non-Icom transceivers problematic?

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, John Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Rick;
>
> please let me know where you and Sholto are using FAE ARQ, since I
would like to come amd play,too.

> On the subject of ALE;  in my humble opinion some operators have
become too focused on ALE, forgeting that ALE is the means to
establish which stations available, and the best frequency to
communicate from A to B. Once these are established, then other modes
can be used to effect the actual communications.

> Patrick's 141A software allows both soundings and data movement
through ARQ FAE, while PCALE seems to be highly overrated in it's
ability to do anything
> other than pass 1 line AMD messages between stations, and it's
sounding and scanning abilities. Unfortunately , it would appear that
little progress has been made to make PCALE more effective, by
expanding the number of radios with which the software will work
(anything other than Icom can be a challenge) . MultiPSK has
undergone some significant improvements in the same period.

> Currently PCALE has the ability to pass single line messages to the
internet email system, which is interesting , but relatively useless
from a communications point of view. MultiPSK may be able to develop
that capability................ as maybe RFSM2400 might , and that
would be a great step forward as an alternate
> mail system to winlink.
>
> The ideal mode would be something like Olivia, but self adjusting
due to conditions, with high throughput when conditions are ideal,
and the ability to do the ALE scanning and sounding functions to
determine a ususable frequency.