>>>AA6YQ comments below

From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Hajducek

>snip<

2. With respect to Remote User to Automatic Station communications,
the human operator initiates the communications and its all up to
them to decide the coast is clear to do so or not and if they need to
stop because they screwed up and did not listen long enough ( how
long is long enough?

>>>The hidden transmitter effect means that the remote initiator cannot
reliably ensure that the coast is clear.

>>>If we're on the telephone from California and say "14180 is clear here,
give me a call there", can you transmit on 14180 from your QTH on the east
coast without first listening to see if 14180 is clear there? Of course not;
doing so might QRM a station in Florida that you hear 59 but I don't hear at
all. Now consider your station to be an unattended server and my station in
California to be the remote initiator. Your unattended server will QRM the
station in Florida.

 be it human operator or computer software there
is not now and never will be any perfect means of busy detection in
my opinion) to detect that the frequency was indeed in use due either
propagation or just plain long pauses between transmissions of the
3rd party stations.

>>>"Perfect" is unnecessary. It is clearly possible to build busy frequency
detectors that are at least 80% effect, since such a busy detector was
demonstrated years ago. Applying such an imperfect busy detector to
unattended stations would reduce their QRM by a factor of 5.

>>>This "it's impossible to build a perfect busy detector" argument reminds
me of Xeno's paradox, in which he proves that all motion is impossible.

In closing, you and everyone else on this frequency busy detection
quest just don't seem to grasp the realities the shared aspects of
the Amateur Radio bands and tolerance for co-frequency levels of
interference and just what it is that you are proposing with your
frequency busy detection dream.

>>>To what "realities" are you referring? Amateur radio bands are certainly
shared, but that gives no station the right to QRM existing signals.

Also you seem to think the issue is
with Automatic Stations, when in fact it is really with Human
operated stations. If there is going to be frequency busy detection
in digital mode communications software ( and hardware where all that
is not so equipped would need to be banned from use to make your
dream a reality) than it needs to be in the Remote User's software to
second guess the human factor at all times and not in the Automatic
Station side as its the human operator that initiates the
communications, for any Automatic Station Forwarding between like
stations then and only then would frequency busy detection apply to
the Automated Station initiating the connection.

>>> What are you talking about? The issue is preventing an unattended
station from transmitting on a frequency that is already in use.

 Also, to be as
complete and concise as possible, such frequency busy detection needs
to be applied to all known and legal for use digital modes around the
world and not just detection of RF energy period ( else your station
may never go into TX ). Doing so would force all human users to be
courteous and standby when any real digital mode signal that is
within their passband from any source, which will force the use of
narrower filters for given modes or cause stations to yield to wider
band mode operations and narrow bandwidth modes operations will have
to steer clear of wider mode operations. Then, depending on the
timing of who transmits first and what the forced upon you timing
constraints of the algorithms used end up being, you just sit and
wait for an opportunity to transmit, you may get out a CQ or other
call but then your system detects another signal and puts you into a
holding pattern again, should it be just any signal detected at any
time? Should be only when both sides of signal exchange are heard so
that your station isn't just making you wait due to another station
CQing etc., if not full QSO detection in the given mode of operation
then what about that "hidden transmitter" effect?. Oh, I can see it
now, a lot more listening for everyone, the early bird gets the
frequency for the QSO, gee what a dreamy situation, but when an ECOM
event comes about, will they ever get a chance to send that health
and welfare traffic in a timely manor or at all? Hopefully some of
this has assisted you in seeing more of the complexity and down sides
of this busy frequency detection dream Rick.

>>>Attended stations already have effective (though imperfect) busy
frequency detectors: their operators. The problem is unattended stations,
which do not.

>>>As has been suggested many times, during emergency conditions an
unattended station would disable its busy frequency detector.

     73,

           Dave, AA6YQ