If you can convince the FCC to adopt separate sub-bands, fine. Until then,
US operators of unattended stations are required to prevent those stations
from transmitting over existing QSOs. Whether you do that with a busy
frequency detector, a squad of high-school students hired to monitor your
station 24x7, or some new technique of your invention is fine; allowing your
unattended station to QRM others is violation of 97.101(d); worse, in my
opinion, it violates the basic respect that each amateur is expected to
grant his or her peers.

In your statement below, you make clear that your problem with busy
frequency detectors is not that they can't be implemented, or that they
won't achieve their purpose, but rather that they would "hinder timely
access to automated communications". By this you are saying that traffic
handled by unattended stations is more important than other amateur QSOs.
You are saying that it's OK to keep QRMing ongoing QSOs because the
alternative  -- a busy frequency detector - might occasionally delay an
unattended station's ability to transfer messages. This is incredibly
arrogant, and again violates a basic principle of amateur radio - that no
one has more rights to a frequency than anyone else (emergency conditions
excepted).

At least you have the courage to clearly state your position. Perhaps the
discussion can now focus on the root cause of the conflict, rather than all
this chaff about busy frequency detectors not being possible to implement.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ