Probably the best question is how much experience have you had with open
source. I can only go by what actually is taking place every day with
major programs that have been built and maintained by large numbers of
volunteers and paid staff. Firefox, Apache, Thunderbird, Linux versions,
the whole GNU system with GPL'd software.