You have hit the nail on the head with the use of "emergency service"
as a simple justification for non-emergency use.

There is a COST to the use of amateur spectrum, primarily, time denied
to others.  However, since there is no physical cost to automatic
stations, they have no incentive to implement spectrum efficient
operations.

Here is what I think is a good "thought excercise".  What if automatic
wide bandwidth stations had to pay an annual lease of say $20,000 per
kilohertz to become "primary" users.  They could deduct time spent
actually sending emcomm messages or for participating in monthly
drills.  Regular day to day usage would NOT be considered "exercising"
the emergency capability.  Additional stations using the same
frequency could be added for an additional $500 per year.

What would happen under these conditions?

The first thing you would see is winlink throwing away pactor 3.  As
has been pointed out in other messages, pactor 3 is only 30% faster in
most cases than pactor 2 yet is 500% wider.  The economics just
wouldn't support using pactor 3.

The second thing you would see is a design for multiple stations using
the same bandwidth, ala packet.  Granted there would be a throughput
hit, ala packet, since complete addressing would be needed in each
packet for routing purposes.  However, the COST would be minimized by
doing so.

Last, you would see an emphasis placed on minimizing the data
sent/received per message.  No more Microsoft Word documents with
three lines, just simple text based messages.  No more 300 kilobyte
radar pictures of the weather, just simple 1 kilobyte text based
forecasts.

In the end, since amateur spectrum is FREE, there is no incentive to
create efficient operations.  Since most of these systems/stations are
concentrating on third party traffic, rather than ham to ham
communications, spectrum efficiency should be THE primary goal.  By
limiting the allowed spectrum for wide bandwidth automatic stations,
these incentives are artificially created.

In order to justify more space, the whining about emergency
communications needs to be replaced with some documented facts about
how the systems have been designed/modified for greater and greater
spectrum efficiency to the point that no further economic gains can be
had.  Otherwise, do like the rest of the worlds amateur operators and
only operate when space is available.

Jim
WA0LYK