I agree with Rud!

Amateur Radio has ALWAYS been the base point for EVERY type of communications
with in the US and most of the rest of the World!  If it's out there, most
likely it started in Amateur Radio!

Emergency Communications has ALWAYS been an integral part of Amateur Radio, at
least here in the USA. AND it's ALWAYS been VOLUNTARY!!!  Amateur Radio
Operators have ALWAYS been there, and hopefully always WILL be, to lend a hand,
or mic, to help out in times of emergencies!

ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) is NOT mandated by ANYONE.  It IS
supported by the FCC.  In fact, the FCC put ARES under control of the ARRL,
along with RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service).

I whole heartedly DISAGREE that Amateur EMCOMM is going away!  In fact, quite
the opposite IS occurring!

Hurricane Katrina and the attack on 9/11/01 has shed more light on the LACK in
communications in the Public Safety sector than any other incident that I can
recall!

I'm the Radio Tech for our County, and speaking for my County and the
surrounding metro area, there is a HUGE misconception concerning it's 800 MHz
trunking system! All the elected officials seem to think that the Public Safety
communications system is going to work flawlessly in an emergency!

WRONG!!!  I've seen what happens when a minor incident happens!  The system
becomes overloaded and just shuts down!  They do simulcast on VHF, which they
keep saying needs to go away. I keep telling them NOT a smart move as it's the
ONLY system they have that is RELIABLE!

Anyway, ARES plays a HUGE part in at least OUR county's communication viability
and is highly supported by our County officials!!!

I could go on and on citing instances where Amateur EMCOMM has come to the
rescue, but you get my point!

Rod
KC7CJO

Rud Merriam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               Hi Flavio,

 The "Basis and Purpose" mean that these are the reasons the ARS exists in
 the US. It is more than a "value".

 It is a long standing tradition to provide this service in the US. I believe
 it is also true in Canada. I cannot speak for the rest of the world. From
 the comments I am seeing it apparently is not for them.

 Rud Merriam K5RUD
 ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
 http://TheHamNetwork.net