As far as I know, most OFDM implementations use differential keying either in
time or frequency. HamDRM uses multiple pilot carriers as phase references. I
think that there is one pilot carrier for every 4-5 data carriers. I assume
that 8PSK is used in the federal standards because of the characteristics that
I cited. TCM was originally used in a series of modems developed and
standardized for voice-grade telephone lines and has been used for many
purposes, including U.S. digital TV. OFDM was implemented in some voice-grade
modems, but lost out in the standardization process as the characteristics of a
landline are fairly stable over time.

The single tone modems operate similarly to U.S. DTV. There is an equalizer
that estimates the amplitude, time and phase of all rays arriving at the
receiver and forces all components to add in phase. The only disadvantage is
that the equalizer takes time to make estimates and can lag behind the actual
signal. OFDM doesn't have this problem as it ignores the time period over which
the leading edge of the various rays arrive. However it has a high crest factor
(like SSB voice) and about 1 dB of the signal is lost during this guard
interval. OFDM has a big advantage when the receiver or transmitter are moving
so it is being used in the U.S. for mobile TV. European countries use OFDM for
all digital TV.

The single-tone modems have an advantage when both stations are fixed. The FCC
cited this when they evaluated the U.S. and European DTV systems and stated
that no one would ever watch TV in a car so OFDM wasn't useful. I suspect that
the real reason was that U.S. broadcasters were behind schedule in implementing
DTV and a switch to OFDM would have created another delay. The FCC wants the
analog TV channels for more mobile telephone and data services and the NAB had
agreed to a switchover to DTV by 2006, freeing up of about 20 channels.

Since hams like to push the limit and operate over barely usable HF paths, OFDM
is probably better for amateur use.

73,

John
KD6OZH