Originally Google asked that the spectrum not be sold, but be bid on a
per-conection basis by smart radios that get bids from providers for the
lowest cost for each connection.  (In Europe, you can choose your GSM
provider for calls and there are lots of them, but it isn't automated
like that.)  The FCC said that if bidding reached $4.6 billion (I.e.,
Google's stated amount they might bid) that the two requirements for
open access and open software platform would hold, but not if the price
was too low.

73,