My experiences parallel yours to a great extent except that I got rid of
my HAL equipment probably before you bought yours.

Until recently, there really were no soundcard ARQ modes that could do a
full ASCII character set, but now we have FAE 400 which is amazing
similar to Clover II.

I would very much like comments by those who still make Clover II
contacts and compare it to FAE 400. I too very much prefer the linked
modes and the only errors on the screen are typos:)

Just from recollection, it seems that FAE 400 can maintain a link and
provide throughput under weak signal condition where Clover II would
link but not have any meaningful data throughput. Of course under good
conditions, Clover II will work much faster. I really liked Clover II
and it was nice to actually work Ray, W7GHM, a few times even if we
rarely had much throughput. Even then there were only a few operators
except for the Winlink system which used both Clover II and Pactor.