I'll say again... the only thing wrong with the concept of ALE is the
lack of active users.  Everything else about ALE makes perfect sense
to me.  Here are the basics.

Automatic Link Establishment =  the software (or firmware) stores
reception reports and when you want to call a known station it will
automatically search for that station based on propagation data.
ALE will automatically link via a digital mode and then the operators
will negotiate another mode suitable for the task in hand.  The
software (or firmware) has the ability to call up specific nets or
lists of stations making such things as ARES nets MUCH easier.  The
standard digital method used has unique capabilities that enable the
software to detect a signal and pause for decode even when the radio
is scanning many channels in a few seconds.

That's it.  Pretty simple,  but quite powerfull.   Taking PC-ALE and
MARS-ALE as examples, there is no other software in the ham world that
will provide you with as powerful a communication tool .

The problems of ALE are quite simple too, just two.  PC-ALE requires
more precise soundcard  timing that most other ham applications and
poor decode is the result from sound cards that are not accurate
enough.  The concept of ALE requires automated beacons, "soundings",
that are often unattended.  Thus some people get upset at the QRM
caused.    These are the only real problems associated with the
software or concept of ALE.  The lack of activity is caused by a poor
performance of the standard digital mode  and the quasi-military
design of the concept in the ham world.  If there was a help file
written in plain language and a more open mail reflector for help, I
suspect there would be more operators.

As I think Steve and Bonnie have frequently pointed out,  a concept of
ALE is that you use the automatic nature of ALE to establish a link
and then move to other frequencies and modes .  The new FLARQ seems to
be tailor made for this.  Use ALE  to find your stations and use FLARQ
in a variety of modes/speeds  to pass 100% accurate traffic.  It'll
will often  be a whole lot faster than most of the digital modes that
are options the ALE software or firmware.

Andy K3UK

--
Andy K3UK
www.obriensweb.com

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

DRCC contest info : http://www.obriensweb.com/drcc.htm

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional