Hi Alan,

I agree to a point, it depends on ones focus, if you recall I have
always run my GAP DX Voyager antenna when looking for world wide
activity such as in HFlink events, that antenna at 100 watts and an
ATU works all Amateur bands 100%. However using a Skywave antenna
heavily takes away from the ability of gateway stations to server
users within NVIS range, I feel each such station should concentrate
on their NVIS range user base. Which is why I feel the better
approach for stations serving as gateways is to configure for
automatic antenna selection where an optimal NVIS and Skywave antenna
are selected as can be done with MARS-ALE. In Amateur Radio
application this simply means that all such stations will serve their
local NVIS range users better below 20m and all users at 20m and
above. Such automatic selection of antenna is only available at
present in MARS-ALE. I hope to see such automatic antenna selection
show up in all Amateur software tools that provide for gateway
connectivity which are not single channel oriented in their scope,
e.g. WL2K PMBO's configured for scanning for example.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH