From what I have been able to tell, the group is no longer active and
the owner/moderator is no longer accepting new members. If you attempt
to sign up, nothing happens until a few weeks go by and you are notified
that no action was taken. If you are a member of the group, you may be
able to contact the owner and ask what the current status is. Maybe he
would be willing to make you an owner or at least moderator?