>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "n7zxp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have been sitting here reading all this things about Vista. Now
lets go back to when XP was new. Everyone said and wrote all this
stuff about XP.

>>>That's not true, Lane. At birth, Windows XP was broadly praised
for its stable kernel (inherited form NT), strong device support, and
freedom from the architectural "resource exhaustion" defect in the
Windows 9X family.

Before that it was Win98 and so on. I am heavy into
the computer industry and a programmer. Most all of the people that
write all this neg about Vista have no idea about what they are
talking about.

>>>I spent days tracking down the runtime defect that results in the
Vista File Manager completely corrupting the screen if an application
updates its title bar with any frequency (e.g. to present the current
UTC time). Fortunately, I'd recently met with the manager
responsible for these runtimes and sent him a minimal faulting
program; as a result, Microsoft issued a hotfix and (I hope) included
the correction in SP1. The fact that his dad was a ham helped a
little...

>>>The change in the sound APIs that limits the use of PSKCORE and
MMTTY is similarly cut-and-dried and indefensible violation of upward
compatibility.

Vista is a good program and is superior to XP.

>>>None of the "pillars of Longhorn" -- the key sources of end user
value -- made it out the door in Vista. All that's left is Aero's eye
candy and the immensely intrusive User Account Control (UAC). If
Vista offered any significant advantages, enterprise adoption
wouldn't be well below 5%, and Microsoft wouldn't be dropping the
price a year after launch.

If people take the time to update drivers and software that is
normaly free they would have no problems. But they would rather grip.
I run MANY Ham related programs and have updated and no problems. The
one's that are not updated yet are being worked on by the software
makers.

>>>The technical and financial litmus test for an operating system is
not "some programs work". Its *all* programs work.

The amount of work involved in a new OS is behond the comprihention
of most all people. If you think this is wrong sit down right now and
write a program that will play a simple card game. Now imagine what
goes into a program as complex as Vista or XP.

>>>As an operating system, Vista is conceptually trivial; it
implements nothing that wasn't well understood 30 years ago. Its
complexity arises from the absence of a resilient architecture, long-
term accretion without refactoring, and a poor software software
development process. All of these were and are avoidable. Microsoft
finally appears to be addressing some of this with MinWin (see for
example http://www.crn.com/software/202404947 ).

As far as he goverment  goes they are happy with Vista as they are he
one's who requested to have all the security features in the Vista.

>>>Everyone wanted Microsoft to produce a more secure implementation
of Windows. But UAC is so annoying that most users disable it. That's
hardly progress.

Do you really think Bill Gates makes a new OS and does not talk to
them as for as what they want. Think people...

>>>Then how would you explain the extraordinarly low adoption rate of
Vista by companies -- around 3% when last I checked. The primary
driver for Vista adoption has been PC manufacturers bundling it with
new models, much to their user's unhappiness. Microsoft has already
extended the "XP is no longer available on new PCs" date by 6 months,
and has dropped the price of Vista to encourage sales. If there were
anything of compelling value in Vista, none of that would be
necessary -- even with all of Vista's defects.

No matter who makes a new program knows it will have bugs.

>>>That's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you're a programmer and you
think that way, then your work is practically guaranteed to  contain
defects.

They turn it lose on the public becouse instead of having just the
Microsoft crew give reports they have the world. When people give
reports on the OS they mke changes. Thats what a update is. If they
did not do it this way we would all be using DOS. Would that not be
fun.

>>>That is not true. Had Microsoft used modern software engineering
practice to build Windows, its engineers would be spending a far
greater fraction of their time introducing useful new functionality
onto a framework designed to accomodate it rather than chasing down
thousands of defects after the fact, regression testing their fixes,
and issuing patch releases week after week.  The cost of poor to the
organization that produces and maintains it is enormous.

>>>You can't test quality into the kinds of applications we build
today; the only way to build quality software at this scale is to
establish high-performance teams, create a high-quality architecture,
and use modern software engineering practice (risk-driven iterative
development, modularity, automated testing, modeling, etc.) to
implement that architecture incrementally.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ