Hi Andy,

Sorry about your pinched nerve, but all the (exotic) modes are great.
Perhaps there is a natural selection of well known modes as a common
starting point. Perhaps over time modes that are extremely robust under
different conditions

I've used both MixW and MultiPSK but still takes time to figure out a
mode sometimes.  I have noticed that will in a QSO with some odd mode I
will see others calling CQ in what looks to be the same mode on one side
or the other of the QSO.  Or that when finishing a QSO, one of us will
get a call in that mode.  But perhaps not everyone uses a program with
as many mode options thus is unable to answer.

The club I am in, the Vienna Wireless Society of Vienna VA runs a
digital net. We cycled through all the modes we could find to get one we
could all use and works for both near and far on 80m.  And were thinking
to start that cycle over again with the newly minted modes.

Anyway, wanted to chime in that with the anarchy of ham radio seems not
possible to try to reduce the number of modes in use.

73, Tom n4zpt