>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Winwarbler's Stations Heard list is more "live" than PSK Reporter , it
displays the callsign heard almost instantly whereas PSK Reporter
takes 5 minutes.  Winwarbler's DX View can plot the Stations Heard in
PSK on to default world map within DX View, in some ways this is
easier and less RAM/CPU intensive that PSK Repoter.

The Winwarbler/DXView/Spot Collector combination does not plot
stations OTHER people heard unless they posted the information to a DX
Cluster.  PSK Reporter in combination with Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780
will post information that other PSK stations are hearing, if they too
are using  PSK Reporter in combination with Ham Radio Deluxe and
DM780.

>>>For this to work, ops must leave their transceiver sitting on one
frequency monitoring a PSK band. I'll do this with WinWarbler's
broadband decoder enabled so I can see who's QRV or so I can track a
needed DX station that is QSYing between QSOs, but otherwise I am
tuning around looking for interesting band openings.

DXView uses it's default map but also gives an option of using Google
maps.

>>>DXView will also plot information on DXAtlas and MapQuest.

Winwarbler has many useful configuration possibilities for
Google Maps whereas PSK Reporter does not appear to have the same
options.  I'm not sure why the DX View default map plots the call
signs of received PSK31 signals but in Googlemaps it appears to plot
only one callsign at a time.  Maybe I have this wrong.

>>>You have it right, Andy. The purpose of plotting on a Google or
MapQuest map is to provide more information about your current QSO
partner -- an overhead satellite view of their town, or a street view
showing their antenna, or driving directions. DXView's native world
map and the DXAtlas maps are more appropriate for displaying and
interacting with large numbers of plotted station locations.

Winwarbler's Stations Heard feature lists signal quality and signal
strength.  DM780 gives you some of this information but it does not
get displayed on PSK Reporter's Google maps

I think PSK Reporter plots the location based on  grid square
extracted from an ongoing QSO, I think.  DXView appears to plot it's
map based on the administrative capital of the call area.

>>>The location information used by DXView comes from many different
sources, using the following hierarchy:

1. previously-logged QSOs

2. location information extracted from cluster spot notes or provided
by cluster nodes (if enabled)

3. the USAP database, which provides zipcode-granular location for
all amateurs in the US and its posessions

4. a CD callbook (QRZ, HamCall, RAC) or QRZ.com

5. callsign analysis

Winwarbler displays the spot of a PSK station on the map along with
the VFO frequency PLUS the AF frequency, PSK Reporter appears to use
VFO frequency only.

DXview is capable of dispaying "path lines" between two stations on
the default map.  PSK Reporter does not do this yet although I suspect
that it is possible.

DX View's default map can be filtered to show stations heard from
specific continents whereas PSK Reporter cannot.

>>>You can also plotted spots by Band and Mode. The tabular spot
database can be independently filtered by DXCX entity, Frequency,
Band, Mode, and Origin. The Band filter lets you specify starting and
ending times for each band; starting and ending times can be
referenced to today's sunrise and sunset times (e.g. don't show me
160m spots more than 30 minutes after my sunrise). The Band filter
also lets you specify a maximum distance between the spotting station
and your QTH on each band (e.g. don't show me 6m spots generated by
stations in Florida).

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ