Hello to all,

Here is an extract of the answer I did in the Multipsk group plus some other
results.

>> I have also ran into at least 8 different stations running MultiPSK
>> 4.7 or newer that I can't decode UNLESS I run MultiPSK 4.7 or later.
I tried here generating Olivia 32-1000 towards an old Multipsk version and
Mixw...no problem. This is logical as there was no modification on Olivia
for some versions (however a regression error was always possible but there was
no such error).

>> I decided to do a side-by-side receiving/decoding test with DM780
>> software (1806 beta) and MultiPSK 4.8 and found that DM780
>> consistently could decode very weak signals 80-90 pct. copy that
>> MultiPSK would only get 10pct or less of. I was surprised - but did
I tried here comparing Mixw, Multipsk and OliviaAid with a very noisy
transmission: the decodings are more or less equivalent (Multipsk being
slightly better and OliviaAid slightly worse with a relatively important
decoding delay). The sound card speed calibration was the same for every softs.
Note: OliviaAid is worth for DM780 and Fldigi.

The results are the following (with a signal at -13 dB of S/N Gaussian which is
the limit for Olivia 32-1000 decoding):
* OliviaAid: 120 characters decoded,
* Mixw: 164 characters decoded,
* Multipsk: 208 characters decoded.

However, I tested on Gaussian noise, when real conditions could be very
different from a Gaussian noise (QSB was not simulated for example) and so the
results could be different.

I think the decoding's problem of Gary is linked to the sound
card speed calibration (button "Sampling freq." and follow the instructions).
If it keeps on failing, Gary must check that the button "Freq. search" is
pushed (to have an equivalent to Mixw or OliviaAid) . If it keeps on
failing, let's Gary contact me or better the Multipsk group. A good thing
would be to send me a record file (at 11025 samples/sec, 8 bits, mono)
recording a phase when Multipsk decodes badly. I will check why.

I tested previously thanks to the Multipsk group the 48 KHz sampling speed
(adding a provisional measure of 48 KHz sampling speed). It is in general very
good (my poor on-board sound card becomes suddenly excellent), but it is,
unfortunatly, not a general case (I hoped that it was a general case to
progressively switch to 48 KHz).

> special soundcard alignment that I haven't already done - too many
As indicated above, it is true that with a 48 KHz sampling frequency the
probability of an immediate good result is perhaps of 80 or 90 % but
unfortunatly it is not 100 % so, in all cases, it is necessary to calibrate his
sound card. With Multipsk, it is automatic, it takes 2x3 mn, so I don't think
it could really be a big problem. And it is one time (you can control from time
to time, in case of).

So in any case, it is important to calibrate the sound card, moreover in
Olivia. This because it is a MFSK mode with a lot of possible carriers (32 in
the standard mode), so you must not to mix one carrier with another carrier or
simply have a shift which makes that you assess your carriers (through a FFT or
an inter-correlation) at a bad location.

The other issue is the synchronization. You must synchronize on the right
moment. In general you have a capacity of auto-synchronization (about +/- 1% in
Multipsk (and also about the same for Mixw as far as I see) through a digital
PLL) but for the best performance it is of course better not to have to modify
the standard speed and to be just at the right speed.

So if for a PSK or a RTTY transmission, you could have a certain tolerance with
a slow degradation of the performance around the real sound card sampling
speed, in Olivia you have a quick degradation of the performance.

This problem of soundcard alignment is extreme with MT63 which works with 64
carriers...

73
Patrick